Welcome to the BuDS information page about Covid-19 (coronavirus). As a disability charity of disabled people, we have taken special care to put together information from reliable, proven, sources about this virus and how it will affect your life. The information here is intended mainly for disabled and older people. Covid-19 can be very dangerous for some disabled people with particular health conditions.
The Government is now telling everyone that they must stay at home to protect themselves, and to help stop the spread of coronavirus. This applies even if you do not feel ill.
There are exceptions to this – but even then you must minimise the time you spend outside and ensure that you are at least 2 metres (6 feet) apart from anyone who is not in your household:
- Shopping for basic necessities only, such as food and medicine. Do this as infrequently as possible
- Exercise, such as a walk or cycle – alone or with members of your household
- Any medical need for yourself, or to provide care or help a vulnerable person
- Travelling to and from work, but only where this absolutely cannot be done from home
- To attend (or take someone else to) a place of education
- To escape injury or harm, either at home or in a public place
Protect yourself and others:-
- Wash your hands with soap and water often – do this for at least 20 seconds
- Use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available
- Wash your hands as soon as you get back home
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (NOT your hands) when you cough or sneeze
- Put used tissues in the bin immediately and wash your hands afterwards
- DO NOT touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean
If you have symptoms of coronavirus
If you have a high temperature or a new, continuous cough, you must self-isolate for 7 days. If you live with someone who has symptoms, you’ll need to self-isolate for 14 days from the day their symptoms started. This is because it can take 14 days for symptoms to appear. During this time:
- DO NOT leave your home for any reason, except to exercise (when you must stay at least 2 metres (6 feet) from other people).
- DO NOT go out to buy food or collect medicines;
- DO NOT have visitors such as friends or family in your home.
For more information, visit our page on Articles about Covid-19, where detailed information on who is at risk from Covid-19, local infection data and much more can be found