| Background:
| Background:
Home Carer’s Allowance

Carer’s Allowance

Carer’s Allowance is a benefit paid to a carer who is regularly looking after someone else with substantial caring needs and who is receiving PIP (daily living component- standard or enhanced rate), DLA (middle or highest care rate only), or Attendance Allowance.  A Carer does not have to be related to, or live with, the person being cared for, but must be 16 or over and spend at least 35 hours a week caring.   It is not means tested, but is taxable;  in some circumstances it may affect or be affected by claiming other benefits.

Disability Rights UK have a valuable  FactSheet on Carer’s Allowance

Claims are made on form DS700, (or DS700SP if you get a state pension) available from a Jobcentre Plus office or on- line

Note:- If you feel you may be eligible for CA because you are looking after someone who is making a claim for PIP but who has not heard the outcome, do not wait for a decision but apply for CA now as it can be backdated if they are eligible.

If you are providing regular care for someone then you are entitled to have a Carer’s Assessment of your own needs by Bucks CC Adult Social Care.  Tel: 01296 383 204  .