| Background:
| Background:
Home “Bedroom Tax”

“Bedroom Tax”

(Officially known as “Removal of spare room subsidy”, “under-occupancy charge“)
May affect anyone under pensionable age who lives in a home rented from their local Council or a Housing Association, and who receives Housing Benefit (HB).  This could happen if your home is considered too large for you.

Housing Benefit is reduced if you have more bedrooms than the Government consider necessary.  The Government say that the following are entitled to one bedroom each:

  • An adult couple
  • Member of an adult couple who cannot share a bedroom because of a disability
  • A single person aged 16 or over
  • Two children of the same sex up to 16, unless one of the children has a disability
  • Two children under 10, unless one of the children has a disability
  • A foster child or children if you are an approved foster parent
  • A carer who regularly provides overnight care for a disabled member of household
  • A family member serving operationally in the Armed Forces

Otherwise, if you have 1 ‘spare’ or additional bedroom, your Housing Benefit will be reduced by 14%
If you have 2 or more ‘spare’ or additional bedrooms, your Housing Benefit will be reduced by 25%.

If you are affected in this way, you may be eligible for a Discretionary Housing Payment from the District Council  – Aylesbury Vale, Chiltern, South Bucks, or Wycombe.